Yennadon

History in the Making


Then


Yennadon is centered between the North and South Alouette Rivers around Maple Ridge Park in northern Maple Ridge. Originally known as South Alouette and was renamed to Yennadon in 1911. The name "Yennadon" was chosen by the first postmaster because it was the name of the area he came from in England.

The first settler in Yennadon was Samuel Edge Jr. and in 1876 the young man became the first Caucasian man to climb to the Golden Ears summit. In 1909 a newlywed couple, Andy and Alice Marc, purchased 160 acres in a remote northern part of the South Alouette for $10. In 1959, the widowed Mrs. Marc sold the property to the University of British Columbia and the land became part of the UBC Research Forest.
Yennadon was known as a recreation centre due to its ideal location between the two rivers. Families from the City would keep a summer home there and it became a centre for equestrian pursuits when the Hitching Post opened in the late 1940s. Maple Ridge Park has been a popular picnic destination since the earliest days of Maple Ridge.

Learn more about the history and the pioneer families of Yennadon at the Maple Ridge Museum.

The Heritage Resources of Maple Ridge is a great resource for additional information about the Yennadon area.

Historical Buildings in Yennadon  

  • Allco Park | Alouette Road | Cultural Landscape
  • Davidson's Pool/Hot Rocks | 23681 128 Crescent | Cultural Landscape
  • Eagle's Hall and Rovers 'Devolf' Den | 23461132 Avenue | 1957-58
  • Kosky Residence | 22679 136 Avenue | Circa 1890 or later | Today: Farm Residence
  • Malcolm Knapp Research Forest | 14500 Silver Valley Road | Cultural Landscape
  • Marc Residence | Marc Road, R.R. #2 | Circa 1910
  • Westacre Farms | 23575 124 Avenue | 1968

Now


Today, much of Yennadon is an active agricultural production area and is still considered a major recreation centre. Maple Ridge Park, at the corner of 232 Street and Fern Crescent, is in the heart of this neighbourhood, which remains a popular picnic area with a beautiful playground and spray park for the kids.

For the adrenaline seekers, you will find the very popular WildPlay Element Park or for the laid back outdoor enthusiast, Equutrails offers horseback trail riding.

After an adventurous day outside, you can enjoy a great meal at the Black Sheep Public House, a perfect place to catch a game and share your stories after an action packed outdoor adventure.

A huge draw for tourists is Golden Ears Provincial Park, which is named after the prominent twin peaks which are commonly referred to as Golden Ears.

As one of the largest parks in the province, Golden Ears Provincial Park is known for its recreational opportunities. The extensive system of trails within the park provides an excellent opportunity for hiking and horseback riding.

Alouette Lake is a popular spot for swimming, windsurfing, water-skiing, canoeing, boating and fishing. The park also has three large campgrounds. Vegetation is typical of the coastal western Hemlock forest of BC and the mountainous back country is extremely rugged.

Within Golden Ears Park is a mountain bikers' paradise. There are two major trails for bikers with a total distance of approximately 9.5 km. View Trail Map