Provincial Housing Initiatives
For information on the Provincial Government proposals with regard to housing issues in Maple Ridge, see the link to "Update: Housing Issues".
Municipal Housing Initiatives
The Planning Department has reviewed policies and bylaws in regards to housing in Maple Ridge and presented staff reports for Council consideration to support and incentivize the creation of affordable, rental and special needs housing in the community. Projects and summaries with available links are provided below:
In 2014, Council endorsed the Housing Action Plan, which provides a framework of strategies and actions to create affordable, rental and special needs housing in Maple Ridge. Council worked with staff to create an Implementation Strategy that would place a priority on the creation of housing in the community.
Following the endorsement of the Implementation Strategy (PDF), the City has focused on reviewing regulatory tools with a goal of creating affordable, rental and special needs housing including the following:
- Community Amenity Contributions - The CAC Policy and Housing Reserve Fund was adopted in 2016 to provide a variety of amenities in the Community in a financially sustainable manner. The policy was updated March 2018 to require that all CAC Funds collected in the Town Centre be allocated to affordable housing, to a maximum specified in the policy.
- Regulatory and Infill Measures - August 2016, Council considered a staff report for rental housing and directed staff to prepare a report and amending bylaws to:
- review the Detached Garden Suites Program;
- review and expand the Secondary Suites Program;
- permit Duplexes in single family zones without rezoning; and
- develop a policy to support rental units above commercial.
- On February 6, 2018 Council received updates on the Secondary Suites and Detached Garden Suites (DGS) consultation and directed that staff bring back further work to:
- Provide information on Pilot Projects to: (a) Allow a Secondary Suite and DGS on the same lot; (b) Allow a DGS size to be a minimum of 20.3m2 (219 ft2); and (c) Allow a DGS size to be up to 140m2 (1500 ft2) or 15% of the lot area, whichever is less.
- Undertake further research and report back to Council on: (a) Allowing a Secondary Suite in all single-family residential zones; (b) Allow a Secondary Suite within a Duplex unit (RT-1 zone); (c) Allowing a DGS in all single-family residential zones; (d) Allowing flexibility in siting a DGS on a lot; (e) Allowing 2-storey units and units above a garage in all DGS zones; (f) Allowing Tiny Homes as a permanent DGS structure; (g) Allowing Tiny Homes as a temporary DGS structure; and (h) Removing owner-occupancy requirement for Secondary Suites and DGS.
- Undertake interdepartmental/stakeholder processes to: a. Review the building permit application process; and b. Develop an approach for creating pre-approved DGS building permit plans.
- On February 6, 2018 staff presented Council with a report on "Rental Housing Program: Rental Options for New Development" and Council directed staff to bring forward reports outlining:
- A Density Bonus approach that would optionally require, in exchange for bonus density, the provision of secured rental units, secured affordable rental units, and/or a cash-in-lieu contribution;
- A Community Amenity Contribution (CAC) approach that would maintain existing CAC contribution rates, but allocate 20% of all CAC funds received towards affordable housing.
- On March 6, 2018 - Council approved updates to the Modular Home Park Tenant Relocation policy which is intended to supplement Provincial regulations to provide assistance to tenants at risk of displacement due to the potential redevelopment of mobile home parks.
- On March 6, 2018 Council adopted a Rental Tenant Relocation Assistance Policy which is intended to provide assistance to tenants at risk of displacement due to redevelopment of the property.
- February 6, 2018 Consultation Updates Secondary Suites - Detached Garden Suites (PDF)
- February 6, 2018 Rental Options for new Development (PDF)
- March 6, 2018 CAC Allocations - Affordable Housing (PDF)
- March 6, 2018 Tenant Relocation Assistance Policy (PDF)
- October 3, 2017 Rental Housing DGS update (PDF)
- September 19, 2017 Rental Housing Secondary suite update (PDF)