Community Champions is a citizen recognition campaign where the community nominates their exceptional neighbours according to five categories: artists, athletes, volunteers, storytellers and barrier breakers. Those selected will be recognized on the covers of seasonal Maple Ridge Parks, Recreation & Culture Program Guides and also receive a full spread that shares their story on the interior of the guide.
Nominations for 2020 are now closed. Check back soon to read stories from our newest champions!
What makes someone a Community Champion?
We have created a few categories to help inspire your nominations!
Whether your nominee paints, draws, takes videos, is a personality on social media, creates things digitally, writes, plays music or creates custom outfits for pets… we want to hear about them!
The term “artist” is as diverse as our community. If your nominee identifies as an artist, use the nomination form to tell us about their art form and direct us to where we can view/listen/learn about their art where possible.
Do you know a budding professional soccer player, senior canoe expert or perhaps someone taking wheelchair basketball to the next level?
“Athlete” can refer to anyone who lives and breathes their recreation passion.
Does your nominee take time out of their busy lives to help others? Perhaps they help out at the local animal shelter or volunteer during Civic Events to ensure community celebrations are successful.
“Volunteers” eligible for Community Champions are those who volunteer within our community.
We owe so much to those in our community who tell our story – Maple Ridge is a diverse community full of people who share their own story and how it is intertwined with our City.
We would love to hear from the “storytellers” in your life, be they a First Nations Elder, a youth growing up in our community, or a child who loves exploring Maple Ridge.
“Barrier Breakers” are individuals who challenge norms and who break down obstacles that keep themselves and/or others from participating, voicing their opinions, or accessing our beautiful City.
Do you know someone who is making a difference by questioning “norms”, pushing the envelope, or taking action for a cause? We would love to recognize their hard work and leadership in Maple Ridge.
- The deadline for submissions is June 28, 2018 at 11:59 PM.
- You may not nominate yourself.
- Nominees must be current Maple Ridge citizens.
- You may nominate more than one person, but please submit a separate form for each nominee.
- When nominations are open, please use the supplied online form where possible. If you require additional assistance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out a handwritten nomination form and drop off at City Hall (11995 Haney Place) to the attention of Mikaela Myers.
- Your form will not be published - the City will use nomination forms as an evaluation tool.
- The City reserves the right to refuse a nomination.
- In order for a nominee to successfully become an official community champion, they will need to meet some minimum requirements (willingness to participate, residency, etc) which will be evaluated after the submission deadline.
- Staff persons of the City of Maple Ridge and their immediate family members are ineligible for nomination, but are welcome to nominate others who qualify.
- Members of government (local, provincial or federal) and/or those running to become members of government are ineligible.