Bylaw Enforcement

The Licences, Permits & Bylaws Department investigates and responds to complaints received about bylaw violations in the City of Maple Ridge. Bylaw enforcement generally refers to a host of actions directed at obtaining compliance with local government bylaws, including:

  • educating the public about regulatory rules
  • conducting inspections to ensure that the rules are being followed
  • mediating between members of the public
  • leveraging voluntary compliance with the rules where possible
  • seeking consequences for contraventions where compliance is not forthcoming or harm has been done to the community
Traditionally, bylaw enforcement within the City of Maple Ridge is carried out on a complaint basis, however, we have initiated a more proactive approach to enforcement within the downtown core area.

Please note that we do not accept anonymous complaints and there is a limit of three (3) non-recurring complaints per complainant property, per calendar year.

How to File a Bylaw Complaint

Bylaw complaints may be made by telephone, in writing, by email or in person at the Licences, Permits & Bylaws Department at the City. You must identify yourself when making the complaint as the City will not accept anonymous complaints. The City will keep the identity of the complainant confidential even if the complainant has agreed to be identified. The only time their name is used is if they are needed to be identified as a complainant in Court or before Council. In these cases we will contact the complainant prior to releasing any information.

Required Information

When making a bylaw complaint, be prepared to give your name, address and telephone number and to provide as many details as possible about the complaint, including the following:
  • address of property involved
  • description of motor vehicle with licence plate (if applicable)
  • date(s) when violation observed
  • detailed description of violation

Complaint Responses

Bylaw Compliance Officers will investigate your complaint as soon as possible. You are encouraged to keep your complaint file up to date and to keep the Bylaw Compliance Officer apprised of the status of your complaint, if the situation improves, worsens or stays the same.

If there is a contravention of City bylaws, Bylaw Compliance Officers will work with the person responsible to voluntarily remedy the situation. The City appreciates your patience in bylaw enforcement matters.

In relation to certain hazardous situations or declared nuisances, a City Council may order a person to rectify the situation or take action to eliminate the hazard or damage and require the person to pay the costs incurred to do so. Where compliance with a bylaw is a condition of a licence or permit, Bylaw Compliance Officers may find it necessary to suspend the licence or permit until the person, or persons, comply.