The kind of cleanup you face will depend on the type of natural disaster you survived. Your home and its content may look beyond hope, but, many of your belongings can be restored, whether they were damaged by floodwaters
, or smoke and soot
. No matter what the disaster, if your house is livable, the first job is to give the house a thorough cleaning and drying.
- Tackle one room at a time.
- Use the two bucket approach. One bucket for cleaning solution and the other for rinse water.
- Protect your hands, wear rubber gloves.
- Clean walls from bottom up so you can easily see where you have already cleaned.
- Follow a three-step process. First clean the room or item, then disinfect, if mildew exists, get rid of it.