Welcome to Camp
Safe - Inclusive - Fun - Active
Parks, Recreation & Culture is proud to offer our dynamic daycamp and specialty camp programs. We strive to help you in your quest to find activities to keep your child engaged and active in a safe, active, inclusive and fun environment.
Explore this page to learn all you need to know about joining us for daycamps!
PREPARING FOR PROGRAM
Program Waivers Required
Each participant will need to have both forms completed/sent prior to participation in the program:
- Participant Waiver: Childrens---Participant-Waiver-2023 (mapleridge.ca)
- Temporary COVID-19 Assumption of Risk Waiver: 2023-Childrens-COVID-19-Assumption-Of-Risk (mapleridge.ca)
Options for Submitting your Waiver:
- Completing the fillable PDF forms, and electronically submitting them via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. (preferred)
- Printing out a copy, filling it out at home and bringing it to your first day of camp.
- Fill out a paper copy on site at sign in.
- Water bottle
- Wear: Comfortable weather appropriate clothing, and active close toed footwear
- Lunch/ Snack (For programs longer than 2 hours)
- Seasonal: Sunscreen, Bug Spray, Hat + Sunglasses
We recommend that participants leave electronics, valuables and personal toys at home.
The City of Maple Ridge is not responsible for any lost, stolen or damaged items.
Lunches + Snacks
We are a peanut/tree nut aware program. Please provide your child with a nutritious peanut/tree nut free lunch & snacks, and plenty of water to drink for every day of program. Refrigeration is not available at programs, therefore we recommend insulated lunches bags or packing a frozen water bottle with your child’s lunch. As part of our attention to camper safety, we will have regular water breaks, so please pack a water bottle that can be refilled.
We aim to provide enjoyable activities in a safe and positive environment. Participants are expected to be courteous and respectful to all participants and camp leaders, use non-offensive language at all times, support and appreciate each other, solve problems in a fair and peaceful manner, include others in their activity and play without bullying and teasing others.
PLAY FAIR - The goal of our camps is to ensure that all participants have a rewarding, memorable, safe, active, fun and inclusive experience. Providing a safe environment is a collaborative process. We ask that parent/guardians talk to their children about the following camp guidelines:
- Respect others and their property
- Respect the environment
- Stay with the group
- Use appropriate language
- Ask for help when needed
BEHAVIOUR SUPPORT - The City of Maple Ridge aims to provide participants with a rewarding experience by allowing them to grow and learn in a safe and fun environment. This requires cooperation and consideration for the rights and property of others.
PARTICIPANTS CODE OF BEHAVIOUR - The Children’s Recreation Staff team strive to provide all participants the opportunity to grow, develop, share and have fun in a group with their
- Physical Aggression- i.e. hitting, kicking, etc.
- Verbal Aggression- i.e. shouting, swearing, threats, etc.
- Defiant or Uncooperative Behaviour- to the extent of program disruption
- Unusual/Unpredictable Behaviour – i.e. running away from the group, tantrums, or constant emotional outbursts, etc.
The Children’s Recreation Programmer reserves the right to cancel enrolment or send any child home after notification with a parent/guardian. Prior to cancelling a child’s enrollment, the Children’s Recreation Programmer may take any or all of the following steps such as meeting with parent & child, creating a behavior contract, reducing the amount of times and/or days the child is allowed to attend camp. If Parks, Recreation & Culture deems it necessary to withdraw any child(ren) from the Summer Day Camp or Summer Programs NO refund will be provided.
We encourage parents/guardians of children and youth with divers abilities to explore all our programming opportunities. For more information on Recreation Access Supports including request for support worker, please visit this page, email us
Participants requiring any type of medication during camp hours must have a signed Permission to Dispense Medication release form on file. (This form can be found on www.mapleridge.ca/1468 Medication cannot be distributed without the fully completed release form. A child can self-administer under supervision of a leader with permission from the parent/guardian. All prescription medications require written instructions from a physician. All medication must be in the original labeled container and have a valid expiration date. Prescription medication must have the pharmacy label containing the child’s name, dosage, and times to be administered. All medication must be given to camp leaders at drop-off. All medication will be kept in a safe and acceptable place.
We will follow all Provincial/Local Air quality and Heat advisory warnings. Cancellations of camp due to weather advisories will be made the morning of by Children’s Programmers
For warm weather days, please ensure you send sunscreen, bug spray, sunglasses, and a hat with your children. Camp leaders will periodically check to ensure everyone is wearing their hats, and sunscreen. It is a good idea to practice how to apply sunscreen with your child prior to camp. Please send your child with sunscreen already applied in the morning.
Walk Home Authorization
This is a great option for those who are comfortable with their children either walking to camp or home from camp. By signing the Walk-Home Authorization section on the waiver form your child can sign themselves out of the program at the end of the program and walk home. Once the children have signed out they will not be directly supervised by a leader. Children must be 10 years of age for this option. Parents must provide a safe walking route plan.
The program hours vary between 8:30am-3:30pm. Early drop off before camp start time is not permitted. Program start times are set so that the staff are able to set-up and be well prepared to have fun with the camper(s) for the day.
Our Camp Leaders
A caring leader is an essential component in ensuring a positive day camp experience for your child. Our leaders are fun, knowledgeable, energetic and personally invested in ensuring a successful camp experience.
All of our staff have been through a thorough screening process including a criminal screening check. All staff are certified in first aid and receive specific training on running camps and recreation programs. Our staff are trained on topics such as program planning, understanding child behavior & development, problem solving, emergency procedures, as well as practical experience such as leading cooperative games, crafts etc.
Drop Off/Pick Up
- Parent/Guardian will drop off and pick-up at the designated drop-off/pick-up zone at each location. This will be identified with signage and/or staff direction.
- Only parents/guardians and designated pick-ups listed on the participant form will be permitted to pick up children.
- If you know in advance that your child will be absent please notify the camp staff. Follow up phone calls will be made if a participant is absent and staff have not been notified. It is important that participants arrive no later than 15 minutes after the start of the program.
Our staff/child ratios reflect our commitment to safety and high-quality program supervision.
- School Aged Programs: 1 Staff for 12 participants
- Early Years Programs: 1 Staff for 8 participants
In order to register for programs, participants must meet the minimum age requirement at the start of the camp. Any age exception requests will be reviewed by the Children’s Recreation Programmer prior to registration.
The City of Maple Ridge is committed to creating inclusive and accessible recreation programs. Our programs foster social connections, and promote a healthy and active lifestyle.
Photographs of participants may be taken at any time for promotional purposes. If you do not wish to have your child’s photo/name used please ensure you indicate this on the participant waiver form.
Please ensure that you make note of the camp end time as end times vary from camp to camp. Please notify the camp staff if you are going to be a few minutes late. We will charge you $1 per minute if you do not pick-up your child within 5 minutes of the end time.
- IF WE CANCEL A PROGRAM – You will receive communication to notify of the cancellation. A full refund will be processed to the original method of payment.
- CUSTOMER WITHDRAW/REFUND REQUEST – Withdraw requests must be provided 24-hours notice for a refund. Nonattendance is not accepted as a refund request.
- MEDICAL/ILLNESS REFUNDS – We have temporarily waived the necessity of a doctor’s note. Please email: email@example.com to notify your child’s absence from the program by 7:00AM to receive a refund. Emails after this time will not be eligible for a refund.
For information about registration and withdrawal/refund policies, see registration information or call our registration desk at 604-467-7422 during business hours.