Public Art Calls
Current Public Art Calls
Help beautify and brighten Maple Ridge by submitting a bold and colourful street banner design on the theme of (re)connection! The City’s Public Art Steering Committee invites amateur and professional artists of all ages to submit their designs and waivers for the 2022 Street Banner Design Call by December 17 at 3:00 PM to firstname.lastname@example.org or in-person at City Hall (11995 Haney Place).
The banners will be installed on major streets throughout the City in the summer of 2022 for approximately 12 months. Four designs will be chosen; the selected artists will receive a cash prize in addition to their work being transformed into banners and displayed in beautiful Maple Ridge.
Cash prizes for selected designs include $250 for artists under 19 years and $500 for artists over 19 years. There will be two designs selected from local residents and two designs selected from Katzie First Nation and/or Kwantlen First Nation members.
The deadline for submissions is December 17, 2021 at 3:00 PM. Artists can enter using the provided template by email to email@example.com or drop off their submission to City Hall (11995 Haney Place) during operational hours. Artists must include a digital or printed Waiver & Photo Release Form in addition to their artwork.
Ensure you review the Theme, Selection & Submission and Artwork Specifications tabs prior to submission.
Throughout the pandemic, people from across the world have been impacted by the lack of social connection with friends, family, neighbours and colleagues. Social connections, in-person or virtual, help to uplift spirits improve physical health and encourage a stronger sense of belonging and purpose. Therefore, the theme for the 2022 Street Banner Design Call is (re)connection with the goal of celebrating and building new and old social connections.
The designs should be a bold and colourful expression of this theme! Participants should consider scale and distance of the viewing audience and use large scale images to fill the banner space provided from edge to edge (no borders).
- 1 or 2 entry/ies per resident of Maple Ridge, Katzie First Nation member or Kwantlen First Nation member.
- New original artwork must be created on the provided template.
- Selected artists must provide a short bio and artist statement about their design (max. 200 words). A headshot photo would be optional.
- Existing original artwork that fit the theme such as a watercolour, painting, illustration or print needs to be cropped and scaled to fit into the template.
- The artist retains sole copyright to his/her artwork (see waiver and photo release form for details).
- Artwork must stay within the theme (re)connections and specifications as outlined.
- Each submission must be accompanied by a completed waiver and photo release form.
- Two designs will be selected from the entries submitted.
- Additional two designs will be selected from Katzie First Nation and Kwantlen First Nation.
- For the designs selected by the panel, each artist will be awarded a cash prize as follows: $250 for participants under 19 years and $500 for participants over 19 years.
- There are no entry fees.
- Artwork from residents will be selected by a selection panel made up of volunteers from the Public Art Steering Committee (PASC), community members and a City representative.
- The Panel’s decision will be made in December/January and recommendations from the Panel will be approved by the Public Art Steering Committee in the new year. The decision of the panel is final.
- The Staff Liaison will work with both land-based Nations through an established process with Elders to select the Katzie and Kwantlen designs.
- The City reserves the right to reject any or all submissions or to accept the submission deemed most favourable in the interest of the City.
Submit entries to:
2022 Banner Design Contest at
City of Maple Ridge, 11995 Haney Place, Maple Ridge, V2X 6A9
OR email to firstname.lastname@example.org
We would like to thank all participants in advance for their submissions and interest. Due to the volume of designs received, only those participants who are chosen will be contacted. The successful participants will be advised by January 30, 2022 (date subject to change) by phone and/or email.
Submissions (hard copies) dropped off can be picked up from City Hall after the contest, but we encourage you to submit digital copies to minimize contact.
The designs should be bold and colourful! We are looking for bright and vibrant artwork. Participants should consider scale and distance of the viewing audience and use large scale images to fill the banner space provided from edge to edge (no borders).
- At minimum, finished artwork size must maintain a proportional scale that would fit banner sized 72” long by 24” wide. The banner template is 12” high by 4” wide. Click here to download the template.
- Only original artwork is accepted which can be either new work or an existing artwork.
- Artwork must take up the entire space of the banner template provided, from edge to edge (no borders)
- High resolution photographs of existing artwork will be accepted AND must be scalable to the template for the banner at 300 dpi or higher. Please indicate on the image which parts of the artwork would be suitable. File size for emailing an attached image cannot exceed 5MB during the submission process.
- Chosen artwork may be professionally digitalized and transferred on to a 72” x 24” one-sided nylon banner. Selected adult artist will submit camera ready artwork at 300 dpi or higher for reproduction.
- Some minor adjustments to selected designs may need to be made for the banner production end and any changes will be in consultation with the artists.
- On each submission, include the artist’s contact information including full name, phone number and email address.
- When creating your visual artwork, you will be submitting a design for one side of the street banner pole. Please note that each design will have a footer with mapleridge.ca for consistency and a 3.5” sewn sleeve on the top and bottom. See examples below for reference.