COVID Impacts to Building Inspection & Permits
Please note: City staff are adapting our inspection processes to deal with the COVID exposures both in our organization and in the community at large. In an effort to complete as many inspections as possible, some in-person inspections will be transitioned to video based inspections. When booking an inspection, please ensure that you provide your email and cell phone number that will be with you at the time of the inspection (please ensure that you have the MS Teams app installed on your phone). If your inspection will be conducted via video you will be contacted on the day of the inspection. Depending the location of your project in Maple Ridge we may have to look at alternative approaches. We appreciate your understanding as we work through this period of time.
Reduced staffing levels have had an impact on processing times for permits and we have enacted extraordinary measures to address the delays for files that are in our system. We recognize that timing is critical in the construction industry and have focused staff resources on plan checking so that permits are issued as quickly as possible. We have made progress on the volume of work that has been delayed and are reaching out to you for assistance in helping us focus on this work.
Experienced staff have been redeployed from answering our phone line and we ask that customers use email@example.com for all enquiries until further notice. Responses are being prioritized but it may take a few days for us to respond. We recognize that the delays in our usual processing times are a source of frustration. Those key staff who tested positive are now at various stages of recovery and, in the coming weeks, we expect more staff to return to work to supplement the team that has been focused on getting your projects reviewed.
There are a large number of online resources on the City’s website and we recommend that you go to mapleridge.ca/496 to view the eServices available.
We ask for your understanding as we deal with this unusual situation and will reach out if we have questions about your file or when your permit is ready.
- Review of the application for compliance with our local bylaws and provincial codes
- On-site inspections to make sure the work is being done correctly
To determine the zoning of your property, check online at Ridgeview Online Mapping.
Applying for Permits
Permits must be applied for in person at the Permits counter at the City of Maple Ridge (please note that permits can not be applied for by fax or email). As there are several different types of permits, we have put together guides and checklists to assist you in preparation of your application. Permit application forms can be obtained by mail, fax, online or in person at the permits counter at City Hall.
Please click here to access all of our current online services.
InspectionsInformation required to book an inspection:
- Permit number
- Site address
- Type of inspection requested
- All electrical inspections and final gas inspections require a picture or scan of the signed original declaration.
Permit fees are based on the costs involved in constructing a project. The fees include costs to process the permit, plan checking / review and inspections carried out by the City of Maple Ridge's building, plumbing / gas and electrical inspectors. If it becomes necessary to make changes to a permit already issued or if you require additional inspections, it may be necessary to pay additional fees.
- What services does the Permits section provide?
- Why do I need a permit?
- What types of things do I need a permit for?
- What is the cost of a building permit?
- I want to re-grade my property and bring in a "little" fill. Do I need a permit?
- How long does it take to get a permit?
- How can I find out what my property is zoned?
- Where can I find the size of my lot?
- What can I build on my single family residential lot?
- How big can I build on my lot?
- How do I determine the location of my house in relation to my property lines?
- How high can I build a fence on my property?
- What time will my building, plumbing, gas or electrical inspection be?
- Can I request a certain inspector for inspections?
- What do I need for a final inspection?
- How do I know if I live in a floodplain?
- What is a flood construction level?
- How can I get a copy of my house plans or a copy of the occupancy certificate?
- What size of accessory building can I build?
- There's a new development being built beside my house and I'm worried about water coming onto my property. What can I do?
- Why do I need a geotechnical engineer (for anything)?
- How do I find out if a house I am purchasing has ever been used as a grow op?
- What restrictions apply for building retaining walls?
- Can I do my own plumbing on my property?
- What is a Right of Way?
- How can I find out about a Right of Way?
- Where is my water, sanitary or storm connection?
- What is a covenant?
- What is an easement?
- How do I arrange for an easement?
- How do I find any legal documents shown on the title on my property?
All General Building Enquiries
Email for All General Building Enquiries
Submit Trades Permits (PG, GS & EL) Applications
Submit Trades Permit Applications via Email
Online Inspection Booking
Email Inspection Requests
Building Department Online Inspection BookingClick here (https://www2.mapleridge.ca/BIS) to request an inspection. This service is for all permit types and is currently replacing the 24 hour inspection phone line. For electrical inspections and gas final inspections you will now be completing the declaration on-line as part of the request process. Once the request has been scheduled in the system you will receive a confirmation email.
Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 4:00 pm