Choosing Permits

There are a variety of permits that must be obtained before your business or residence undergoes construction or alteration. If you have any questions while undergoing the application process or determining which application or applications may be required, please contact the Permits Department.

Building Permit

: A building permit is required to build, construct, remodel, repair, demolish, remove or move any building or structure over 100 square feet. Examples include:
  • additions
  • detached structures
  • fire damage repairs
  • foundation or structural repairs
  • renovations
  • retaining walls

Electrical Permit:

 An electrical permit is required by the Safety Standards Act of British Columbia and the City of Maple Ridge whenever electrical work is performed. Examples include
  • installation of any new wiring or circuitry
  • rearrangement of wiring or circuitry
  • installation or rearranging of electrical equipment
  • electrical permits are also required for all energized signs, movie sets and outdoor live performances

Gas Permit:

A gas permit is required for new installations or alterations to existing gas appliances, piping and venting 

  • Occupancy Permit: An occupancy permit is required prior to moving into a building (people or contents) and may be obtained for a limited period of time, if all inspectors approve provisional occupancy. A fee will be required for a provisional occupancy permit
  • Plumbing Permit: A plumbing permit is required for any installation, addition, or alteration to plumbing systems
  • Sign Permit: Any exterior sign requires a sign permit
  • Sprinkler Permit: A sprinkler permit is required for any installation of an approved fire sprinkler system as a part of the construction of all new buildings within the City.

For more information, please refer to the City of Maple Ridge's Sprinkler Bylaw (PDF) or contact the Building Department.

Occupancy Permit Criteria

Final inspections on all gas, plumbing, electrical and building permits must be approved, along with schedule C-Bs and the site survey received prior to occupancy permits being issued. Occupancy of a building without first obtaining an occupancy or provisional occupancy permit may result in penalties as stated in the Maple Ridge Building Bylaw (PDF).

Sewer Compliance

Homes on septic must have provincial "Sewerage Regulation" compliance by providing a "stamped letter of certification," which may be obtained from a registered onsite wastewater practitioner. To locate a practitioner, please refer to the registrant list available online.

Well Water

Homes on well water must have verification from an accredited lab that the water meets or exceeds the stipulated potability requirements as set out in the Canadian Drinking Water Quality Guidelines. The lab must be accredited by the Canadian Association for the Environmental Analytical Laboratories Inc. (CAEAL). To locate a lab in your area, please refer to the list online at the Canadian Association for the Environmental Analytical Laboratories Inc.