Detached Garden Suite Pilot Project
Detached Garden Suite (DGS) ToursThe City of Maple Ridge held three DGS Pilot Project Tours on Wednesday February 19, 2020 (5:30PM – 7:30PM), Saturday February 22, 2020 (1:00PM – 3:00PM) and Sunday February 23, 2020 (1:00PM – 3:00PM). The tours showcased three DGS units: two were built under the DGS Pilot Project and one was built under the current DGS regulations. These tours were designed to:
- Raise awareness of the City’s DGS program,
- Provide an opportunity for Council and the community to tour two DGS pilot project units that were constructed as part of a DGS and Secondary Suite (SS) regulatory review, and
- Showcase successful projects within the community.
A survey was made available to registered attendees to invite their feedback on the DGS units on the tour. The information gathered through the survey and the tours will help inform Council’s consideration of the DGS Pilot Project and be included as part of the consultation summary.A copy of the materials from the DGS Pilot Project Tours can be found here:
Background Information on the DGS Pilot Project ProcessThe following reports and attachments provide background information on the DGS Pilot Project, which was initiated through a Council resolution at the February 6, 2018 Council Workshop Meeting.
- May 1, 2018 - Council Workshop meeting report (PDF). Council endorsed a DGS Pilot Project process and timeline.
- June 19, 2018 - Council Workshop meeting report (PDF). A Look-Book conceptual document (PDF) was prepared for four properties participating in the DGS Pilot Project.
- June 26, 2018 - Council Meeting report (PDF). The report presents four Zone Amending Bylaws for four DGS Pilot Project participants.
- November 27, 2018 - Council Meeting report (PDF). Council granted final readings of the Zoning Bylaw Amendments and Housing Agreement bylaws to the following two Phase 1 Pilot Project participant properties:
- 26378 - 126 Avenue
- 23525 Dogwood Avenue
- January 14, 2019 - a report entitled, Detached Garden Suites (DGS) Pilot Project – Phase 2, was presented at Council Workshop and the following resolution was passed: that staff be directed to not proceed with phase 2 of the DGS Pilot Project.