Starting a New Business


Are you looking to build a business in the City of Maple Ridge? You may find that the most difficult part of starting a business is the initial setup and paperwork. The City, through BizPaL, is providing prospective business owners with easy, one-stop access to related business information.

Business Names, Partnerships & Limited Companies

Business names, partnerships and limited companies must be registered with the province. Names must be searched before they can be registered with the province. You may operate as a sole proprietor under your own name without need of registration of the company name. Appropriate forms are available from the government agent or online at the British Columbia OneStop Business Registry.

Employment Standards Act

Employers must comply with the "Employment Standards Act" available online from the provincial government.

Goods and Services Tax (GST)

If you anticipate your annual gross revenue, from sales of GST taxable goods and services, will be greater than $30,000.00 you are required to register for the GST. Registration forms are available online at the Canada Revenue Agency or by calling 800-959-5525.

Income Tax

All individuals and corporations are liable for the payment of provincial and federal income tax. As a self-employed sole proprietor or partner, you will file a statement of income and expenses with your personal income tax return.

Local Licensing

Local licensing is controlled by the City of Maple Ridge. Business licence application forms may be obtained from the  Bylaw, Licensing & Community Safety Department. The application is reviewed for correct zoning for commercial and industrial land uses and for the type of business. Business licence fees in Maple Ridge range from $110 and up.

The Economic Development Department can assist new businesses with site selection, business plan development, economic data, statistics, research collection and distribution trends. Please contact them at 604-467-7320.

One Stop Services

The OneStop Business Registry is a public sector partnership offering integrated business registration and business address change services based on the business number. All OneStop services are available online from the local Government Agent Office or at their office located at 22470 Dewdney Trunk Road in Maple Ridge.

Provincial Sales Tax (PST)

If your business entails the buying and selling taxable goods, you will require a provincial sales tax licence (PST). Contact the Consumer Taxation Branch for more information on this.

WorkSafe BC

When a new firm opens, it must register with WorkSafe British Columbia's Assessment Department. There are very few types of businesses that are not covered by the act. It is the employer's responsibility to check if the company must register. Contact WorkSafe British Columbia to determine if your business requires registration.