A petition is a formal written request made to an official person or organized body. A petition can play an integral role in the communication between residents and elected officials. Petitions should be addressed to the Mayor and Council and request that a particular action be taken that is within the authority of the City of Maple Ridge. A petition is considered a public document and all information contained in it will be subject to the scrutiny of Mayor and Council, staff and the general public. Listed below are the procedures for receipt and recognition of public petitions. Otherwise you may view a sample petition.
Paper Petition Requirements
- must be legible, typewritten or printed in ink (no pencil)
- show the text of the petition at the top of each page with pages numbered
- each page of the petition should include the statement "By signing this petition, I acknowledge that this petition will become a public document and all information contained in it will be publicly available."
- contain original signatures only, written directly on the petition
- include the address of each petitioner - no phone numbers
- send by mail or deliver in person to the attention of the Clerk's Department
Electronic Petition Requirements
- show the text of the petition on the sign-in page
- supporters of the petition must be informed, and acknowledge, that the petition will be a public document and all information contained in it will be publicly available
- individual email responses to an electronic petition will not be accepted
- supporters must provide their name, address and a valid email address
- submit a downloaded PDF of the list of supporters to the Clerk's Department