Please Licence Your Dog
The first step to responsible dog ownership is licensing your dog.
Why Do I Need a Dog Licence?
A dog licence helps you reunite with your dog if they are lost anywhere in the world. Dog licence fees not only support the return of pets to their owners, they assist in the adoption of homeless pets every year. Fees also pay for education and enforcement of our Animal Control and Licencing bylaw, as well as the cost for operating the local animal shelter.
How Do I Buy a Dog Licence?
To apply for a dog licence, download our dog licence application form (PDF). Unfortunately at this time, applications can not be submitted online. Once your application is complete, please email it to the Licences & Bylaws Department or fax it to us at 604-467-7445. Once your application has been entered into our system, we can email you your new account number so you may pay the fees online.
Permanent Dog Tags
As of January 1, 2019 the city will be issuing permanent dog tags. Which means that the tag number issued to your dog in 2019 will remain the same for the lifetime of that dog (annual licensing fees still apply). Please do not discard the dog licence come the next renewal cycle. If lost, this tag can be replaced for a $5.00 fee.
How Old Does My Dog Have to Be to Get a Licence?
All dogs over four (4) months of age must be licensed every year with the City of Maple Ridge.
How Much Does it Cost to Buy a Dog Licence?
The cost of licensing your dog depends on whether or not it is spayed or neutered. If you are applying for the "Spayed or Neutered" discount you will need to provide a document of verification from your veterinarian. A discount is available if paid by January 31. For more information on fees and charges, review Schedule A (PDF) of our Animal Control and Licencing Bylaw No. 6908-2012 (PDF).
(February - December)
|Unaltered (Senior Discount)
|Altered (Senior Discount)
How Do I Renew My Dog Licence?
The City will send a dog licence renewal in December of every year. You may pay your annual dog licence online. All you need is your Account Number and Access Code from your invoice. You will be able to pay using your Visa, MasterCard or by Interac with most major banks. Once your payment has been processed, your dog tag will arrive in the mail.
You can also make a renewal payment over the phone by calling our Licences & Bylaws office at 604-467-7384. Or you can make your payment in person at City Hall.
What If I Move or I No Longer Have My Dog?
Please remember to notify us if you change your contact information, move away or no longer have your dog, so that we may update or deactivate your dog licence account.
- Why do I need to licence my dog?
- If my dog is never out of the yard / house do they still need a licence?
- How long is a dog licence valid for?
- How much does a dog licence cost?
- Can I buy my dog licence online?
- I have a guide / assistance dog; do I need to purchase a licence?
- What does my dog licence fee pay for?
- What are the hours and phone number for the local shelter?
- I no longer own the dog, what should I do?
- Who can I report a lost dog to?
- Who do I report a dog off leash in an unpermitted area to?
- My neighbour's dog won't stop barking, what can I do?
- Can I let my dog run off leash in Maple Ridge?
- Why can't I allow my dog to run off leash?
- How can I make a report about an unlicensed dog in my area?