Important Considerations for Private Property

Hazardous Trees

Hazard trees within 30 metres of a watercourse or on slopes over 25% require a Certified Arborist Risk Assessment and approval from the City before they can be removed. A hazardous tree may require a permit, but there would be no fee charged.

If the hazardous tree is on private property, the property owner is responsible. If it is in a City park or conservation land, contact the Parks & Facilities department at 604-467-7346.

For more information, contact the Environment section at 604-467-7499.

Watercourse Protection

Many of the City’s watercourses and wetlands have been mapped and inventoried over the years, however there are various watercourses and wetlands that have not been inventoried and property owners are required to ensure that any work that occurs on their property does not impact watercourses or the surrounding habitat. Property owners are encouraged to contact the City prior to any large scale projects to ensure these important features are not impacted.

The environmental features that have been mapped with GPS are available on the City's Ridgeview online mapping tool. Use this mapping program to see what features have been identified to date on and around your property.

Watercourse protection setbacks are indicated as either 15 or 30 metres depending on the quality of the watercourses that have been inventoried. You can also contact the City’s Environment section at 604-467-7499 for information on watercourses on a property.

Filling Ditches

The ditches that run along the front of urban and rural properties are on the City road right of way and are the responsibility of the City. They are a very important part of the stormwater management within Maple Ridge. Open ditches are better for handling the volumes of water experienced in this climate, and for assuring better quality of water.

Ditch in-fill requests will be considered for safety reasons or under special circumstances. Requests can be made to the Engineering Department at 604-467-7339.