Contractor Requirements

A valid Maple Ridge business licence is mandatory for a contractor or service company conducting business on City properties. Proof of the following may also be required of all service contracts:

  • a Worker's Compensation number and a clearance letter from the Worker's Compensation Board indicating that your company is active and in good standing with Workers Compensation;
  • minimum $5,000,000.00 general liability insurance, with the City of Maple Ridge added as additional insured;
  • minimum $2,000,000.00 professional liability insurance;
  • minimum $5,000,000.00 vehicle liability insurance;
  • employee criminal record checks, where necessary;
  • Federal, Provincial or Municipal permits when and where applicable.

Maple Ridge requires contractors to wear suitable identification, be aware of the Occupational Health and Safety Standards and familiarize themselves with the City of Maple Ridge's Contractor Safety Coordination Program as it applies to the specific scope of each requested service.

Metro Vancouver’s Non-Road Diesel Engine Emissions Regulation Bylaw

All non-road diesel powered equipment that is 25hp (19kw) or greater must comply with Metro Vancouver’s Non-Road Diesel Engine Emissions Regulation Bylaw No. 1161, 2012 (the Bylaw). The Bylaw requires owners or operators of Tier 0 and Tier 1 non-road diesel engines to register, label, and pay fees in order to operate within Metro Vancouver. Please advise what Engine Tier your proposed equipment meets and if it is in compliance with Metro Vancouver’s Bylaw. Provide the engine registration number issued by Metro Vancouver if applicable. The City may, at its discretion, give preference to equipment that meets higher emission standards.

To register your equipment visit Metro Vancouver's website or call Metro Vancouver for assistance at 604-451-6655. Examples of equipment include:

  • excavators
  • graders
  • backhoes
  • skid steers
  • forklifts
  • cranes
  • grinders
  • compressors
  • generators
  • light towers

 Note: If your diesel powered machine has a licence plate but is not primarily used or intended to be used for transportation on a public street, road or highway then the engine in the machine is considered as a non-road engine and the regulation will apply.

Exemptions to the regulation:

  • any engines less than 25 hp
  • agricultural and recreational equipment engaged in those activities
  • emergency / standby generators
  • marine vessels
  • line haul locomotives
  • on-road vehicles