Secondary Suites

Secondary suites provide an important form of affordable housing in the City of Maple Ridge that benefits both renters and homeowners.

What is New?

On January 26, 2021 Council removed the owner occupancy regulatory requirement for secondary suites to expand housing choice and encourage more rental units. Property owners no longer have to live on the property that has the secondary suite. However, properties that have two rentals on the property are required to hold a valid Business Licence in order to lawfully rent out both dwelling units

Secondary Suite Regulations

All secondary suite regulations can be found in the City of Maple Ridge Zoning Bylaw 7600-2019. The following information provides a summary of the regulations that apply to secondary suites within Maple Ridge:

  • Secondary Suites are permitted in specific zones, please refer to the Zoning Bylaw.
  • One secondary suite per lot is permitted and it must be contained within the same building as the single detached building.
  • Secondary suites must not exceed a Gross Floor area of 90m2, and/or exceed 40% of the total Gross Floor Area of the building.
  • Secondary suites must not be situated within the Floodplain Area.
  • Secondary suites must not be used for short-term/ vacation rentals.
  • Secondary suites are not permitted where there is a Bed and Breakfast, Boarding, Detached Garden Suite, Temporary Residential, Caretaker Residential, or Two-Unit Residential on a lot.

Business Licence Requirements

A Business Licence is required if there are two rental units on the property. This means if the upper floor is being rented and there is a secondary suite in the lower level that is also being rented, the property owner must have a business licence in order to rent both dwellings. 

There is a business licence fee for rental units and there is a one-time Application Review Fee of $500. To obtain a Business Licence, please visit:


Building a Secondary Suite? 

Building permits are required for any new construction or renovation of a secondary suite. A registered owner or authorized agent for the owner may apply for the building permit. For building permit application requirements, guides and bulletins, please visit: 

The City of Maple Ridge has launched a new online permit application guide, intended to help make it easier for people to prepare their building permit applications!

This online guide will provide you with specific property information, such as your zone and servicing connection, as well as the forms and plans that are required in order to submit an application for your building project.
To access the online guide, click HERE.

How do I know if my Secondary Suite is “Registered”? 

A registered secondary suite is a self contained area within a single detached dwelling that contains cooking facilities, a living area and a bedroom area that has gone through the building permit process. A registered secondary suite has been approved by the Building Department. The City has developed a tool for residents to search if a property has a registered secondary suite. If you are unsure if a secondary suite has been registered, please visit:

SS Brochure Image

Work to Date

The review of current accessory dwelling unit programs (secondary suites and detached garden suites) has been underway since Fall 2017. Below are links to the most recent staff reports regarding secondary suites.

·         June 25, 2019 Council Workshop Agenda/Report

·         September 17, 2019 Council Workshop Agenda/Report

·         July 14, 2020 Council Workshop Agenda/Report

·         November 17, 2020 Committee of the Whole (CoW) Agenda/Report

·         November 24, 2020 Regular Council (First and Second Reading) Agenda/Report

·         January 19, 2021, Public Hearing Agenda/Report

·         January 26, 2021, Regular Council (Third and Adoption Reading) Agenda/Report

·         To see the recordings of each meeting, please visit the webpage link here

Looking for More Information?

Please feel free to contact the Planning Department by emailing the department or by phone at 604-467-7341 at any time with questions or comments about Secondary Suites or the Accessory Dwelling Unit Review.