A portable fire extinguisher can be a very effective tool in saving lives and property. Use portable fire extinguishers to extinguish small, contained fires, but portable fire extinguishers have limitations. They are not designed to fight large fires or those that may spread quickly. Portable fire extinguishers are appropriate for fighting fires such as those on the stove top, in the oven or in a waste-paper basket. Use an extinguisher only if the fire is in its early stages.
Before Fighting Fires
Before you attempt to fight a fire make sure that:
- if the building has a fire alarm, it has been sounded; if not, alert the occupants
- everyone has left or is in the process of leaving the building
- the Fire Department has been called
- the fire is small and confined
- you have a clear escape route that will not be blocked by fire
- you choose the right type of extinguisher for the fire
- you have read the instructions and know how to use the extinguisher
Remember not to fight a fire under any other circumstances! Instead, leave the building, close the doors behind you and immediately call the Fire Department
Fire Extinguisher Training
Portable fire extinguisher training is available for Maple Ridge companies wanting to train their staff. For information and costs, email Assistant Chief Juurakko
What can I do with my expired fire extinguishers?
Expired non-refillable fire extinguishers can be taken to Ridge Meadows Recycling