An unattended candle is an invitation to disaster; the Fire Department offers the following tips for the safe use of candles:
- Secure candles in sturdy holders, if possible, place glass chimneys or shades over them.
- Keep lit candles out of reach of children and pets.
- Keep candles well away from combustible materials.
- Snuff out candles before leaving the room or going to bed.
- Keep matches and lighters of of sight and reach of children.
- Listen to this Public Safety message (MP3).
The Fire Department recommends the following care and precaution measures to ensure an attractive tree that stays fresh indoors for two to three weeks:
- Store the tree outdoors or on a cool porch or patio until you are ready to decorate.
- Supply fresh water daily - ensure the water level does not drop below the bottom of the tree.
- Keep your tree away from fireplaces, radiators, television sets and other sources of heat.
- Turn off the tree lights when you leave and before you retire at night.
- Avoid the use of combustible decorations.
- Check all electric lights and connections
- Do not use lights with worn or frayed cords
- Never use lighted candles on a Christmas tree.
- Listen to the Public Safety message (MP3).