Skip to Main Content
Do Not Show Again
Create a Website Account
- Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
Website Sign In
City of Maple Ridge
Support for Residents
Fire & Rescue
An unattended candle is an invitation to disaster; the Fire Department offers the following tips for the safe use of candles:
Secure candles in sturdy holders, if possible, place glass chimneys or shades over them.
Keep lit candles out of reach of children and pets.
Keep candles well away from combustible materials.
Snuff out candles before leaving the room or going to bed.
Keep matches and lighters of of sight and reach of children.
Listen to this Public Safety message (MP3)
The Fire Department recommends the following care and precaution measures to ensure an attractive tree that stays fresh indoors for two to three weeks:
Store the tree outdoors or on a cool porch or patio until you are ready to decorate.
Supply fresh water daily - ensure the water level does not drop below the bottom of the tree.
Keep your tree away from fireplaces, radiators, television sets and other sources of heat.
Turn off the tree lights when you leave and before you retire at night.
Avoid the use of combustible decorations.
Check all electric lights and connections
Do not use lights with worn or frayed cords
Never use lighted candles on a Christmas tree.
Listen to the Public Safety message (MP3)
Arson Prevention Program for Children
"Don't Be a Doofus"
Fire Prevention Codes & Standards
Fire Prevention Week
Hot Summer Nights
Life Safety Tips
Portable Fire Extinguishers
Propane Safety & Carbon Monoxide Safety
Recalls & Hazardous Products
Summer Safety Smart Cards
Youth Living on Their Own
Slideshow Left Arrow
Slideshow Right Arrow