Getting Started Is Simple
We Will Help You Through the Process
Getting a business licence is a simple process that is required of all businesses operating in Maple Ridge. The Coordinator for Licences & Permits located in the Economic Development Department will help you work through the process of getting permits and your business licence.
Benefits of a Business Licence
All businesses in the City of Maple Ridge require a business licence. Some of the benefits to obtaining a business licence include:
- makes your business a legal operation in terms of the City of Maple Ridge's Business Licence and Regulation Bylaw
- lists the business in the City of Maple Ridge Business Directory (home-based, commercial and daycare business licences only)
- enables the City to regulate the types and locations of businesses conducted within its jurisdiction
- supports the development of promotional materials aimed at attracting business investment and job creation
- assists with the development of demographic and statistical information on the local business climate
- supports parking enforcement, community policing and Adopt-A-Block Program
We have a Business Licence Guide (PDF) to assist you with applying for a business licence.
If you are applying for a commercial business licence, please review our commercial business licence application process (PDF) information guide. For direct assistance and guidance through the licensing and potential permitting process you may contact our Coordinator - Licences & Permits via email or phone at 604-467-7378.
You can download a copy of our business licence application (PDF) or request that one be sent to you by mail or fax. Or you can pick one up at the Licences & Bylaws Department at City Hall.
Some Things We Will Ask You When You Apply For a Business Licence
- The legal address where you want to operate
Before you sign a lease or purchase a property, check with City Hall to ensure your property meets zoning and building bylaw requirements for your type of business.
- The nature of your business
This helps us understand how your business fits into the neighbourhood and building where you plan to operate
- Are you planning any renovations or tenant improvements?
Some examples of when permits are required include the removal, installation or relocation of interior walls, windows or doors, or changes to the electrical, plumbing, heating, ventilation and air conditioning system or sprinkler system.
- Do you require Fraser Health approval?
Food services, daycares and personal services business are just some of the types of businesses that require Fraser Health approval prior to issuance of a business licence from the City. Please contact Fraser Health to discuss their requirements.
- Do you have all the required Federal and Provincial approvals?
Some businesses require approval from a Provincial or Federal regulatory body in order to receive a business licence. Regulated businesses included liquor establishments, pharmacies, motor vehicle dealers, massage therapists and certified trades.
What Happens After You Submit Your Application?
City staff will review your business licence application and then contact you to schedule inspections.