Electrical & Low Voltage Inspections
Electrical inspections are required during various phases of a project. It is up to the permit holder to arrange for inspections via:
- the inspection request line 604-467-7380,
- the email request line, or
- fax at 604-467-7461.
Allinspection requests, including those left on our Inspection Request phone line, must provide
allof the following information:
- Correct electrical permit number;
- Type of inspection requested (per list below);
- Correct street address of the property to be inspected.
- For multi building sites include each electrical permit for each building being inspected.
- For apartment buildings include the floor and unit numbers being inspected.
Note: using the email request line is recommended when calling for multiple inspections on different buildings.
We regret to inform you that
noinspections will be registered and no inspections will take place if the above information is not provided.
The address card provided at time of permit issuance is to be posted in a location that is visible and readable from the street and protected from weather. This card is to be posted prior to commencing construction and is to remain posted until such time as all permits issued have received final inspection.
ELECTRICAL & LOW VOLTAGE INSPECTIONS:
- Electrical Contractors Authorization Forms are to be faxed to the Building Department at 604-467-7461 or email for all electrical inspections.
- SUBMIT DECLARATION FOR AN UNDERGROUND DUCT INSPECTION: After all underground electrical construction is complete, but prior to backfilling. This inspection only is called under the building permit number.
- SUBMIT DECLARATION FOR SERVICE CONNECTION INSPECTION: After all electrical service construction is complete and a weather proof cover is installed, but prior to requesting energizing.
- SUBMIT DECLARATION FOR A ROUGH-IN INSPECTION: After electrical rough-in wiring but prior to framing; Separate Low Voltage Electrical Permits must also be issued for security, telephone, cable and separate inspections called for this permits.
- SUBMIT DECLARATION FOR A FINAL ELECTRICAL INSPECTION (unless homeowner): Electrical final inspection must be performed for both types of electrical permits prior to the final building inspection.
Note: Owners issued a homeowner's permit to do their own electrical work, must phone inspections in via the inspection line at 604-467-7380 or email.
EVERY PERMIT IS ISSUED UPON THE CONDITION THAT:
- Construction is to be started within 6 months from the date of issuance. An inspection on each permit is required and must pass within this time frame to verify construction commencement.
- Construction is not to be discontinued or suspended for a period of more than 12 months.
- The permit is no longer valid if conditions 1 and 2 noted above are violated.
- The exterior of the building is completed within 6 months of the date of commencement of construction.
- An Occupancy Permit is required prior to moving people or contents into any building.
- If all inspectors approve for provisional occupancy, a Provisional Occupancy Permit may be issued for a limited period of time. Permit fee and security is required for this.
- Occupancy of a building without first obtaining an Occupancy or Provisional Occupancy Permit may result in penalties as stated in the City of Maple Ridge Building Bylaw.
- For any inspections to be conducted, the permit package, all prior inspection slips and engineering reports must be on site for all inspections including plumbing, gas, electrical, sprinkler and building.
- For renovations or additions or where contents have been installed in a dwelling, a person of the age of majority must be present while inspections are being conducted. Should no one be present or be under age, the requested inspection will not be conducted.
- All pets must be secured prior to inspectors attending the site.
- Permit card must be posted as soon as construction commences. This card must be posted in such a position as to be clearly visible from the street at all times and protected from weathering.